Trump Postpones Iran Attack After Gulf States Request — Military Ready for 'Full Scale Assault'
President Trump announces he called off planned Iran strike on Monday at behest of Qatar, UAE, Saudi Arabia. Says military ready for 'large scale assault' if talks fail.
President Trump called off a scheduled military attack on Iran set for Monday after Gulf state leaders requested more time for negotiations, he announced on Truth Social. Trump said Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, and Saudi Arabia approached Washington about reaching a deal that would be "very acceptable" to the US and prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons.
Insider Wire
Sign in or create a free account.
Gain access to limited free articles, news alerts, and morning briefings.
The president simultaneously warned Tehran that US forces remain on high alert. Trump said he instructed military leaders "to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment's notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached."
Ceasefire Remains Fragile
The announcement came as a six-week ceasefire has paused most violence following intense US-Israeli airstrikes and Iranian retaliation. Trump previously described the ceasefire as being "on life support," with Israeli media reports suggesting hostilities could resume imminently.
Iran's foreign military spokesperson Esmail Baghaei claimed Pakistan has shared Tehran's latest proposal with the US, though no breakthrough appears imminent in the stalled negotiations.
The Iran crisis has taken a political toll on Trump, as Insider Wire previously reported. His approval rating has dropped to the lowest point of his second term amid mounting frustration over rising costs of living and the US-Israel war on Iran. Most American voters now believe Trump's decision to go to war with Iran was wrong, according to new polling ahead of November's midterm elections.
Legal Battle With IRS Dropped
In separate developments, Trump moved to dismiss a $10 billion lawsuit against the IRS, dropping his claims amid reports he is considering a settlement with the federal government. The potential deal would create a $1.7 billion fund to compensate allies for alleged government persecution.
The filing came two days before a May 20 deadline when the overseeing judge asked parties to brief whether a legitimate controversy existed for the lawsuit, given Trump's control over the IRS.
Trump's latest threats against Iran follow his pattern of using social media to pressure Tehran while dangling the prospect of negotiations. The involvement of Gulf state allies suggests regional powers are working to prevent a broader conflict that could destabilize global energy markets and draw in other nations.
Watch for whether Iran responds to Trump's latest ultimatum and if the Gulf states can broker meaningful talks before the president's patience runs out.